Mapei Keracolor FF Tile Grout is a high performance, polymer-modified, water-repellent, cement-based grout with DropEffect technology for joints up to 6 mm.
Mapei Keracolor FF Tile Grout is for grouting interior and exterior floor and wall tiling (single fired, double fired, klinker, porcelain tile, etc.), stone material (natural stones, marble, granite, agglomerates, etc.), glass and marble mosaics.
Mapei Keracolor FF is available in 15 colours: 100 White, 110 Manhattan 2000, 111 Silver Grey, 112 Medium Grey, 113 Cement Grey, 114 Anthracite, 120 Black, 130 Jasmine, 132 Beige 2000, 141 Caramel, 142 Brown, 144 Chocolate, 170 Crocus Blue. All colours come in 5kg bags.
The consumption of Mapei Keracolor Flex depends on the joint dimensions, i.e. width and depth, as well as the surface area of the tile. Use the grout calculator below to calculate how much grout you are likely to need for your application.
Some application examples:
- Grouting floor and wall ceramic tiles in interiors.
- Grouting swimming pools.
- Grouting particularly smooth and glossy floor surfaces (smooth and polished porcelain, pre-smoothened and polished marble, glazed tiles).
- Grouting ceramic tile industrial flooring where resistance to chemical agents is not required (garages, warehouses, etc.).
Mapei Keracolor FF is a blend of cement, very fine-graded aggregates, special polymers, additives and pigments. The use of special hydrophobic additives (DropEffect® technology) gives grouting mortars highly water repellent properties, making them less prone to dirtiness and with excellent durability. The following features are obtained when mixed with the right water ratio and used correctly:
- water-repellent and droplet-effect;
- good compressive and flexural strength, good resistance to freeze/thaw cycles, and therefore good durability;
- a smooth final surface with low water absorption, therefore easy to clean;
- very good abrasion resistance;
- low shrinkage, therefore absence of cracks and fissures;
- good resistance to acids with pH >3;
- excellent value for performance.
When mixing Mapei Keracolor FF with Fugolastic, a special synthetic resin-based polymeric additive, the final characteristics are improved for use even under harsh conditions (grouting façades, swimming pools, bathrooms, floors with heavy traffic). For further information consult the Fugolastic technical data sheet.
- Do not mix Mapei Keracolor FF with cement or any other products. Never add water to the mixture that is beginning to set.
- Do not blend different colours of grout together as there is a risk of colour inconsistency and lack of uniformity of the final shade once the grout has set.
- Never mix Mapei Keracolor FF with salty or dirty water.
- Use the product in temperatures between +5°C and +35°C.
- The amount of mix water must be precisely measured. Excess water could induce the appearance of a whitish coat over the surface (efflorescence). Different colour tones could result if mixtures with different water ratios are prepared. Efflorescence over the surface is due to the formation of calcium carbonate and could also be caused by residual moisture contained in adhesives, not fully hydrated grouts, in substrates not adequately dried, or in substrates not adequately protected from rising damp.
- After filling the joints, do not sprinkle Mapei Keracolor FF powder onto the grout as this can cause uneven colour and reduce the mechanical strength.
- Expansion joints and movement joints in floors and walls should never be filled with Mapei Keracolor FF, but with the appropriate flexible MAPEI sealant.
- The surface of some ceramic tiles or stone materials are rough or contain micro-porosities. It is recommended to carry out a sample test to verify cleanability and when necessary, apply a protective treatment over the surface, but avoiding penetration into the joints. When grouting a swimming pool which is due to be disinfected through saline electrolysis please use Mapei Ultracolor Plus Tile Grout or Mapei Kerapoxy Epoxy Tile Grout.
- Preparing the joints:
Before grouting, wait until the installation mortar or the adhesive has completely hardened. Verify that the waiting time indicated on the relevant technical data sheet has elapsed. The joints must be clean, free of dust and raked back to at least 2/3 of the tile thickness. Excess adhesive or mortar should be removed whilst still fresh. Wet the joints with clean water when using very porous ceramic tiles in high temperatures and in the presence of wind.
- Preparing the mix:
While stirring, pour the Mapei Keracolor FF Tile Grout powder into a clean, rust-free container containing 23-30% by weight, dependant on grout colour, of clean water or Fugolastic (if required in the application). When grouting floors, the mixture can be made thinner by adding more water (approx. 25-32% by weight).
Mix with a low speed mixer to avoid excess formation of air bubbles, to a smooth consistency. Wait 2-3 minutes and briefly re-stir before use. Use the mixture within 2 hours of preparation.
- Applying the grout:
Fill the joints completely with Mapei Keracolor FF using the appropriate MAPEI trowel or rubber grout float, making sure the joints are completely compacted, with no unevenness. Remove excess Mapei Keracolor FF, while still fresh, from the surface moving the float diagonally across joints.
When the mixture loses its plasticity and becomes matt, usually after 10-20 minutes, clean excess Mapei Keracolor FF with a damp hard cellulose sponge (e.g. MAPEI sponge or Kerakoll Cellulose Sponge) working diagonally to the joints. Rinse the sponge frequently using two separate buckets of water: one to remove the excess from the sponge and the other with clean water for rinsing out the sponge. Cleaning can also be carried out with a power float.
To aid removal of the hardened product from the tiles, use a dampened Scotch-Brite® pad or Kerakoll Felt Cleaning Pad, or a disc-type power float with special abrasive-felt discs.
If cleaning is carried out too early (when the mixture is still plastic), the grout may be dragged from the joint leading to colour variation. On the other hand, if the grout has already hardened, it is necessary to clean the surface mechanically, which could scratch the surface of the tiles.
When applying Mapei Keracolor FF in extremely hot, dry or windy climates, it is recommended to wet the joints after several hours.
Wet curing of Mapei Keracolor FF always improves its final performance.
Any residual powdery haze can be cleaned from the surface with a clean dry cloth. After the final cleaning, if the surface of the floors or walls are still contaminated with Mapei Keracolor FF, an acid cleaner can be used (e.g. Keranet), following the relevant instructions, at least 10 days after grouting the joints. Use Keranet only on acid-resistant surfaces and never on marble or limestone materials.
Type: fine powder
Colour: 15 colours from the MAPEI range
Bulk density (kg/m³): 1,000-1,400
Dry solids content (%): 100
EMICODE: EC1 R Plus – very low emission
APPLICATION DATA (at +23°C and 50% R.H.)
Mixing ratio: 100 parts of Mapei Keracolor FF with 23-30 parts of water by weight depending on the colour
Consistency of mix: fluid paste
Density of the mix (kg/m³): 2,000
pH of mix: approx. 13
Pot life of mix: approx. 2 hours
Application temperature: from +5°C to +35°C
Grouting after installation:
– on walls bonded with normal setting adhesive: 4-8 hours
– on walls bonded with fast setting adhesive: 1-2 hours
– on walls laid with mortar: 2-3 days
– on floors bonded with normal setting adhesive: 24 hours
– on floors bonded with fast setting adhesive: 3-4 hours
– on floors laid with mortar: 7-10 days
Waiting time for finishing: 10-20 minutes
Set to light foot traffic: 24 hours
Ready for use: 7 days