Mapei Ultracolor Plus Tile Grout is a high-performance, anti-efflorescence, quick-setting and drying polymer-modified tile grout with water-repellent DropEffect® and mould resistant BioBlock® technology. For grouting tile joints from 2 to 20 mm wide.
Mapei Ultracolor Plus is available in 2kg and 5kg bags, in the following colours:
100 – White, 103 – Moon White, 110 – Manhattan 2000, 111 – Silver Grey, 112 – Medium Grey, 113 – Cement Grey, 114 – Anthracite, 115 – River Grey, 116 – Musk Grey, 119 – London Grey, 120 – Black, 130 – Jasmine, 131 – Vanilla, 132 – Beige 2000, 133 – Sand, 134 – Silk, 135 – Golden Dust, 136 – Mud, 137 – Caribbean, 138 – Almond, 139 – Pink Powder, 141 – Caramel, 142 – Brown, 143 – Terracotta, 144 – Chocolate, 145 – Terra di Siena, 149 – Volcano Sand, 150 – Yellow, 152 – Liquorice, 162 – Violet, 170 – Crocus Blue, 171 – Turquoise, 172 – Space Blue, 174 – Tornado, 299 – Limestone.
All Mapei Ultracolor Plus grout colours are also available in a matching silicone – Mapesil AC Silicone.
Mapei Ultracolor Plus is for internal and external grouting of floors and walls in all types of ceramic (double-fired, single-fired, klinker, porcelain, etc.), terracotta, stone material (natural stone, marble, granite, agglomerates, etc.), and glass and marble mosaic.
Mapei Ultracolor Plus is suitable for grouting walls and floors in areas that are subject to intense traffic, such as shopping centres, airports, restaurants and other public spaces. It is also suitable for residential use in all areas, such as facades, balconies, terraces and swimming pools.
Mapei Ultracolor Plus Tile Grout is made up of a blend of special hydraulic binders, graded aggregates, special polymers, water repellent admixtures, organic molecules and pigments.
With Mapei Ultracolor Plus, the Ultracolor technology is based on a special, self-hydrating-hydraulic binder which guarantees perfect colour uniformity, by two innovative technologies which are the result of MAPEI research: BioBlock® and DropEffect®.
BioBlock® technology consists in special organic molecules which, by distributing themselves evenly in the micro-structure of the joints, block the formation of micro-organisms that cause mould damage. The DropEffect® technology, with a synergic effect, reduces the absorption of surface water.
Mapei Ultracolor Plus creates water repellent grout joints that have excellent colour uniformity. All colours are resistant to UV rays and atmospheric agents.
Mapei Ultracolor Plus forms a smooth, compact finished surface with optimum resistance to abrasion, compression and flexural strength, and good resistance to acids with a pH > 3. Floors are ready for light foot traffic after approx. 3 hours. Surfaces grouted with Mapei Ultracolor Plus may be put into service after 24 hours. Basins and swimming pools may be filled up 48 hours after grouting.
The consumption of the grout varies according to the size of the joints and the size and thickness of the tiles. Use the grout calculator above to find out how much grout you will need for your project.
- Mapei Ultracolor Plus does not contain Portland cement and must not be mixed with gypsum or other hydraulic binders; never add water to the mix once it has started to set.
- Never mix Mapei Ultracolor Plus with salty or dirty water.
- Use the product at temperatures between +5°C and +35°C.
- Carry out grouting only on substrates which are sufficiently dry or have been waterproofed, to avoid a whitish film forming on the surface.
- In order to avoid an uneven colour finish, we do not recommend sprinkling Mapei Ultracolor Plus powder onto the filled grout joints.
- When resistance to acids or, where extreme cleanliness or sterile conditions are required, use a suitable acid-resistant epoxy grout.
- Expansion and movement joints on walls and floors must never be filled with Mapei Ultracolor Plus. Use a suitable flexible sealant from the MAPEI range.
- The surface of certain tiles or stone material may have micro-porosity or a rough surface. We recommend carrying out a preliminary test to check how easy it is to clean the surface where necessary to apply a protective treatment to the surface, to ensure the grout does not penetrate into the surface porosity of the tiles.
- If an acid-based cleaner is used to clean the joint, we recommend testing the product befoehand to check the resistance of the colour. Always make sure that the joints are thorougly rinsed down to avoid leaving traces of acid in the joints.
- Preparing the joints: Grouting may take place when the adhesive is completely set. Make sure that the waiting times indicated in the technical data sheets are followed. The joints must be clean, free of dust and empty down to at least 2/3 of the thickness of the tiles. Any adhesive or mortar which has seeped into the joints while laying the tiles must be removed while still fresh. With very absorbent tiles, high temperatures or windy conditions, dampen the joints with clean water.
- Preparing the mix: While stirring, pour the Mapei Ultracolor Plus Grout powder into a clean, rust-free container containing 21-23% by weight of clean water. Mix the grout with a low-speed mixer to avoid air entrainment, until a smooth paste is obtained. Let the mix stand for 2-3 minutes, and stir again briefly before use. Use the mix within 20-25 minutes of its preparation.
- Applying the grout: Fill the joints with the Mapei Ultracolor Plus mix using a special MAPEI grout float or rubber squeegee, without leaving any gaps or steps. Remove any excess of Mapei Ultracolor Plus from the surface, by moving the float diagonally to the joints while the mix is still fresh.
- Finishing: When the mix loses its plasticity and becomes opaque, which usually takes place after 15-30 minutes, clean off the excess Ultracolor Plus with a hard, damp sponge (e.g. a MAPEI sponge), working in a diagonal direction to the joints. Rinse the sponge frequently, using two different containers of water: one to remove the excess mix from the sponge, and the other, containing clean water, to rinse the sponge. This operation may also be carried out with a machine with a sponge belt or rotating disc. When the mix is partially set, after 50-60 minutes, a damp Scotch-Brite® sponge or an abrasive felt disc may be passed over the joints to even out the surface.
If the cleaning operation is carried out too soon (the mix is still too wet), some of the mix may be removed from the joints. If grouting is carried out in extremely hot, dry or windy weather, we
recommend that the joints filled with Mapei Ultracolor Plus are dampened after a few hours.
Damp curing of Mapei Ultracolor Plus improves its final characteristics in all cases.
Final cleaning of the powdery film of Mapei Ultracolor Plus from the surface may be carried out with a clean, dry cloth.
After the final cleaning operation, if the surface still has traces of Mapei Ultracolor Plus due to incorrect application, it may be cleaned down with an acidic cleaner (e.g. Keranet), by following the relevant instructions, at least 24 hours after grouting the joints. Only use Keranet on surfaces which are resistant to acid, and never use it on marble or limestone material.
Mixing ratio: 100 parts powder with 21-23 parts water, dependent on the colour
Consistency of the mix: fluid paste
Density of mix (kg/m³): 1,980
pH of mix: approx. 11
Pot life of mix: 20-25 minutes
Application temperature range: from +5°C to +35°C
Grouting after installation:
– on walls bonded with normal adhesive: 4-8 hours
– on walls bonded with fast-setting adhesive: 1-2 hours
– on walls with mortar: 2-3 days
– on floors bonded with normal adhesive: 24 hours
– on floors bonded with fast-setting adhesive: 3-4 hours
– on floors with mortar: 7-10 days
Waiting time for finishing: 15-30 minutes
Set to light foot traffic: approx. 3 hours
Ready for use: 24 hours (48 hours for basins and swimming pools)