BAL Rapid Mat Uncoupling Matting is designed to accommodate lateral movement for tile installations on floors with limited movement, when used as a system with a recommended BAL flexible cementitious adhesive, such as BAL Flex One or Rapid Flex One. It is easy to cut and install, and weighs only 270g/m². Tiling can be carried out immediately once fitted. Features reduced adhesive consumption compared to cavity based mats.
BAL Rapid Mat Uncoupling Matting can be used with most tile types including mosaics, and is suitable for use in areas such as Leisure Centres, Bathrooms, Changing Rooms, Car Showrooms, Domestic Kitchens, Shopping Centres and Wet Rooms.
BAL Rapid Mat Uncoupling Matting is used for:
- Installation of ceramic and porcelain tiles, slabs, natural stone and concrete pavers.
- Counteracts and therefore minimises tension stresses between the substrate and the floor to be installed.
- Prevents reflective cracking caused by shrinkage cracks, board joints and lateral movement.
- Provides crack bridging and allowing a safe installation onto challenging substrates.
- Suitable for internal flooring; renovation and new construction, domestic and commercial areas in medium/heavy duty applications.
- Suitable for bathroom and kitchen areas
- Recommended for heated floors and timber floors.
Please Note: NOT SUITABLE FOR:
- Exterior environments
- Permanently wet environments
- Substrates with deflection (vertical movements).
- Use on parquet flooring.
- Bridging movement joints.
BAL Rapid Mat Uncoupling Matting is composed of two layers of non-woven polypropylene separated by an inner layer of glass filament. Measures 0.85mm in thickness and comes in rolls that are 1 metre wide by 30 metres long.
Ensure surfaces to be tiled are flat to SR1 tolerance as recommended in BS 5385: Part 3. Substrates must be clean, dry, sound and free from contamination and stable enough to receive tiling. The surface must be levelled to SR1 prior to installation. Uneven surfaces have to be primed and levelled with BAL primers and levelling compounds prior the installation of RAPID-MAT using suitable BAL Flexible cement based adhesive.
BAL Rapid Mat Uncoupling Matting is suitable for bridging static cracks less than 2 mm wide if differences in height can be excluded. Always ensure the correct adhesives and grouts are selected for the installation. BAL Rapid Mat Uncoupling Matting can be used in internal wet floor areas when used with BAL Tank-It or BAL WP1 Tanking System/Waterproofing Kit For Showers (no priming required on to the matting). IMPORTANT NOTE: Do NOT install BAL Rapid Mat Uncoupling Matting or tiles in temperatures below 5°C.
1. The substrate must be even and load bearing.
2. If necessary the floor may require priming with BAL Prime APD or levelled using a suitable BAL Smoothing and levelling compound such as BAL Level Max.
3. Roll out the BAL Rapid Mat Uncoupling Matting from the corner and cut them precisely to the required length and sizes as required for the floor. Trim off any excesses around upstands using scissors or a utility knife.
4. Apply a thin bed of a suitable BAL flexible tile adhesive to bond the matting which is appropriate for the substrate to be tiled. Use a Mosaic Trowel (or 4 x 4 mm notched trowel).
5. Roll back and lay the BAL Rapid Mat into the freshly applied tile adhesive. The mat must be fully engaged into the adhesive to provide a suitable bond and applied within the open-time of the adhesive. If the adhesive has started to skin or set, remove this layer of adhesive and re-apply a fresh layer.
6. To ensure full adhesion is achieved between the BAL Rapid Mat and the BAL tile adhesive, smooth out the matting using either the flat edge of a steel trowel or a suitable float. Eliminate any air pockets.
7. Where additional rolls / membrane are needed on the floor, ensure the separate mats are butt jointed at the edges but not overlapped. Remove any excess tile adhesive which may have squeezed through the joints. N.B The matting must always be separated where a change in substrate occurs or a construction/movement joint is present in the background.
8. To apply tiles, mix and apply the adhesive to the mat using a thick bed/solid bed trowel. If using a large format trowel ensure the final bed thickness of the tile adhesive does not exceed 6mm over the BAL Rapid Mat.
9. If a BAL flexible rapid-setting cementitious based adhesive is used the tiles can be applied immediately.
10. Always take care when applying the layer of adhesive and tiles onto the mat to avoid de-bonding the mat.
11. Ensure you follow all required fixing instructions for the adhesive used and all applicable industry standards.