The Schluter TROBA LEVEL Paver Support System is a stackable and height-adjustable system for the quick installation of self-supporting pavers on balconies and terraces with lasting precision. The optimised range of components can be variably combined to reliably level virtually any slope and construction site situation.
The Schluter TROBA LEVEL Paver Support System is comprised of 6 height-adjustable or stackable products that are designed for use in a wide variety of combinations. For installers, that means maximum adaptability and flexibility in installation, simplified planning, less storage space, and easy and quick responses to unknown or changed conditions at the installation site. The Schluter TROBA LEVEL products can be also be cut to size to allow for flush tile and paver abutment. The grooves in the material make it easy to precisely adjust the individual elements. Cutting does not affect the system function based on snapping together and twisting.
Due to the open joints between the tiles and pavers, surface water can freely drain on to the substrate and, if fitted, into the drainage system beneath. Typically the tiles and pavers will be at least 20 mm thick. They must be self supporting. The load bearing, environmental and slip resistance properties of the tiles and pavers must be determined from the manufacturer or supplier to ensure they are suitable for use with the pedestal system and external applications.
Schluter TROBA LEVEL Component Overview:
- Schluter TROBA LEVEL PLV 60 Paver Support: This is a height-adjustable support that can be variably adjusted from 60 to 130 mm without special tools. The built-in screw-thread adjustment ring can easily be adjusted for precise setting because the head remains fixed. The identical support at the head enables individual stacking in combination with the PLA 10 support and the adapter PLA 30, while one or more PLV 60 can reach assembly heights of up to 520 mm. AP 1 levelling plates can be used for precision adjustment and slope levelling. The paver support head features 3 mm connectors and an additional perimeter spacer.
- Schluter TROBA LEVEL LV3 Load Distribution Disk: This is a tile and paver support with a larger diameter that distributes the load more broadly to protect the substrate. It can be used in combination with the paver support PL 10, the height adapter PLA 30, and the levelling plates AP 1. Their minimal thickness is also suitable for direct use in low assemblies. LV 3 can be cut to size and features 3 mm connectors.
- Schluter TROBA LEVEL PLA 70 Height Adapter: This is a 70mm height adapter for supported tile and paver coverings. They are designed to quickly reach larger assembly heights. They are screwed into the bottom of the height-adjustable supports of PLV 60 to enhance their capacity.
- Schluter TROBA LEVEL PLS 6 Protective Pad: These pads are made of rubber granulate. They are used to protect the waterproofing assembly if no other full-area protection is installed. The base of the PLV 60 or LV 3 support is attached to the slits in the PLS 6 protective pad, with centred positioning of PL 10.
- Schluter TROBA LEVEL PL 10 Stackable Tile & Paver Support: This is a 10mm stackable support for tiles and pavers – regardless of their format and thickness. Made of a special synthetic material with sound insulation effect and can be installed directly over the waterproofing assembly. The 3 mm connectors create a consistent joint appearance and are able to absorb movements in the covering. The PL 10 support can be stacked up to a height of 200 mm and can also be combined with other items of the product range.
- Schluter TROBA LEVEL PLA 30 Height Adapter: This is a 30mm height adapter for supported tile and paver coverings. They allow for reaching larger assembly heights more quickly since one or more PLA 30 adapters can be inserted between two PL 10 supports from an assembly height of 50 mm. PLA 30 Height Adapters can be stacked up to heights of 300 mm and combined with PLV 60 or LV 3.
- Schluter TROBA LEVEL AP 1 Levelling Plates: These 1mm levelling plates are used to precisely adjust the individual corners of tile and pavers. They eliminate differences in tile and paver thickness, uneven areas of the substrate or a minor slope by up to 10 mm per corner. They are used together with the PL10 and PLV 60 supports as well as LV 3. Notches provide protection against falling out.
Schluter TROBA LEVEL Installation Instructions:
We recommend using the Schluter TROBA LEVEL Configurator Website to work out what system components you will require. Also watch the installation guide video at the bottom of the page for further guidance.
- The substrate must be load-bearing, with a recommended minimum slope of 1.5 – 2.0%. Manufacturer specifications regarding the load-bearing capacity of tile and pavers must be observed. The installation of additional paver supports may be necessary.
1a. The Schluter TROBA LEVEL Paver Support System enables the installation of large-format pavers and tiles on terraces. Please use the configuration tool on our website to determine the required number of tile and paver supports.
1b. Please refer to installation drawing 1b for a first overview of the number of support points – always start your installation at the highest point of the slope. Drawing: First panel = 4 support points Edge panels = 2 support points Area panels = 1 support point
- The PL 10 tile and paver supports (10 mm) can be stacked with a 90° offset.
- From an assembly height of 50 mm, PLA 30 adapters (30 mm each) can be inserted between two PL 10 tile and paver supports.
- Levelling the slope: Use a spirit level to check how many AP 1 levelling platelets (1 mm each) must be stacked on top of one another. If more than ten AP 1 levelling platelets are needed, an additional PL 10 paver support (10 mm) should be stacked instead. AP 1 levelling platelets (1 mm) are snapped in laterally – make sure they are fully attached.
- Keep the installation direction in mind.
- Only stack as many AP 1 levelling platelets as required to reach the level of the adjacent tile and paver.
- Tile and paver supports at the edge can be stacked with a 90° offset to reach the necessary assembly height. PL 10 supports (10 mm) can be cut into halves or quarters for use at edges or in corners (min. tile or paver width 60 mm). To this end, score the support with a cutter knife, break it off, and then trim off any unneeded connectors. Determine prior to cutting which halves fit together.
- Edge solution from an assembly height of 50 mm. (including with cove shaped edge formations). Protruding connectors must be trimmed from an assembly height of 60 mm.
- Corner solution from an assembly height of 50 mm. ( including with cove shaped edge formations). Protruding connectors must be trimmed from an assembly height of 60 mm.
- From an assembly height of 60 mm, you can also install adjustable PLV 60 supports. The individual supports can be variably set up to a height of 130 mm by turning the setting wheel.
- If necessary, the final levelling and slope adjustment can be carried out with AP 1 levelling platelets (see Item 6).
- If the required assembly height exceeds 130 mm, the PLV 60 support can be combined with PLA 30 as well as PL 10 supports.
- All assembly heights from 60 to 520 mm can be achieved by stacking up to four PLV 60 paver supports on top of one another. The paver supports must be snapped together.
- Edge/corner solution: Saw off the bottom plate in accordance with the underside cutting mark and fold the wall spacer up (see marking in Figure 14). Any unnecessary connectors can be tapped off. The minimum paver width is 85 mm.
- Extension: PLA 70 (H = 70 mm) enable the quick installation of larger heights. These adapters must be fully screwed into the bottom plate of PLV 60. PLA 70 is not designed for levelling.
- You can optionally use the tile and paver supports LV 3 (diameter 200 mm, height 3 mm) for load distribution, which can be combined with PL 10 and PLA 30 supports. The tile and paver support LV 3 is also suitable for creating low-height assemblies – final levelling is done with the levelling platelets AP 1. LV 3 can be cut to size and features 3 mm connectors that guarantee an evenly spaced joint formation.
- Protection of waterproofing assembly: For protective requirements, attach the bottom plates of PLV 60 or LV 3 in the slitted cuts of the protective support pads PLS 6 (6 mm). In the case of PVC waterproofing assemblies, the aluminium separating layer of the protective support pads must be installed facing down. If using PL 10 tile and paver supports, these must be placed in the centre of the pads.