The Schluter KERDI TS Bathtub/Shower Sealing Kit is a set for waterproof connections between bathtubs/shower trays and the Schluter KERDI Waterproofing System.
The Schluter KERDI TS Tape is a standard-compliant waterproofing strip made of polyethylene with double-sided fleece fabric and a self-adhesive sound insulation strip on the reverse side. When correctly installed, it creates a secure bond between built-in components such as bathtubs or shower trays made of steel/enamel, acrylic or mineral casting and the adjoining substrate.
Schluter KERDI TS Tape is waterproof and can withstand all chemical stresses that typically occur in conjunction with ceramic tile coverings. It is free of decay and rot-resistant and is highly elastic. Furthermore, it is largely resistant to the effects of watery solutions of salts, acids and alkalis, many organic solvents, alcohols and oils. Resistance to chemical stresses beyond standard domestic cleaning agents should be verified separately.
The Schluter KERDI TS Bathtub/Shower Sealing Kit contains a length of the sealing tape, 1 x 290ml tube of Schluter KERDI FIX Sealing Adhesive, 2 x cleaning cloths and a number of plastic 90° corner installation pieces. There is also a basic set available which contains just tape, cloths and corner pieces. The kit is available in 4 variations:
- 2m – Contains 2 metres of sealing tape, 1 x 290ml KERDI FIX, 2 x cleaning cloths and 1 x corner piece.
- 2.8m – Contains 2.8 metres of sealing tape, 1 x 290ml KERDI FIX, 2 x cleaning cloths and 2 x corner pieces.
- 3.8m – Contains 3.8 metres of sealing tape, 1 x 290ml KERDI FIX, 2 x cleaning cloths and 2 x corner pieces.
- 10m Basic Set – Contains 10 metres of sealing tape, 8 x cleaning cloths and 6 x corner pieces.
Also available is the Schluter KERDI TS ZC Set – this is a flexible corner seal set used in special installation situations to create a waterproof seal around the corner to any adjacent horizontal surface. See the product gallery above for an example illustration of this. This set contains a 120 x 120mm PE Fleece Collar and a plastic 90° corner installation piece.
Also available is Schluter KERDI CP Cutting Protection Strip – this is a cutting protection strip that can be shortened to any length and installed over the Schluter KERDI TS Tape and behind the silicone seal around the bathtub/shower. It protects the connection tape seal in the event that the silicone joint is removed/replaced at a later time. This strip is available in 4 lengths: 2, 2.8, 3.8 or 10 metres.
A sufficient adhesive bond between the installation adhesive Schluter KERDI FIX and the shower tray/bath tub material is required. Remove any protective foils etc. prior to installation.
- Thoroughly clean the surface area of the bath tub or shower tray with the enclosed cleaning cloth and allow it to dry for at least 2 minutes.
- Remove the protective film from the self adhesive corner piece(s) and adhere it/them to the shower tray and bath tub in the corner area (dependant on the number of corners that abut the wall, additional corner pieces may be required).
- Cut the Schluter KERDI TS sealing strip to 25 mm longer than the side of the shower tray or bath tub and adhere it firmly in a single piece. Use the marking line for a minimum installation depth of 5 mm (= upper edge of insulation strip to upper edge of tub) for guidance. Remove the protective film of the self-adhesive sound insulation strip during the installation. Trim off any excessive lengths.
Note: The sealing strip should not be cut and folded to form a corner and has to be installed in conjunction with the associated corner pieces in all cases.
- The building component must be in its final position, fully levelled, and professionally attached.
- Fully embed the Schluter KERDI TS Sealing Tape at the adjoining surfaces, using the sealing adhesive Schluter KERDI COLL L (available separately) and a notched trowel (3 x 3 or 4 x 4 mm Schluter TROWEL).
See section 6 for special solutions for connecting surfaces.
- The expansion set Schluter KERDI TS ZC should be used to create a waterproof seal around the corner to any adjacent horizontal surface. Attach the installation corner piece included in the set (see step 2) and adhere the previously cut waterproofing collar (as shown in the product datasheet Fig. A, B or C ) with KERDI COLL L. The fleece-free area of the collar is used for proper sealing with KERDI FIX. The thickness of the tiles must be taken into consideration for horizontal connection surfaces.
- Clean the joint area with the second cleaning cloth and cover the edge surface of the built-in component with masking tape. Use the installation adhesive Schluter KERDI FIX to seal the joint up to the upper edge of the tub. Remove the masking tape. Fresh residue of KERDI FIX can be removed with spray oil (such as WD-40), followed by thorough degreasing of the area.
- As an option, the cutting protection strip Schluter KERDI CP can be embedded in the freshly installed KERDI-FIX adhesive. It protects the connection seal when the silicone joint is removed and replaced at a later time. To this end, pre-fold the previously cut plastic profile and adhere it to the adjoining wall with KERDI-FIX if applicable.