Schluter DITRA Matting is a waterproof polyethylene membrane with a relatively high vapour diffusion density. It has a grid structure of square cavities, each cut back in a dovetail configuration and an anchoring fleece laminated to its underside.
Schluter DITRA Matting is available in 30m² rolls or priced per metre, cut to custom lengths under 30 metres. To order a custom length, choose ‘1m²’ from the drop down menu above and enter the quantity required.
Schluter DITRA Matting is designed for tile and natural stone installations, and serves as a waterproofing membrane, a vapour pressure equalisation layer to accommodate moisture occurring at the underside of the substrate and an uncoupling layer for problematic substrates. The substrate must be even and load bearing.
To bond Schluter DITRA Matting, use a bonding adhesive that is appropriate for the substrate. Apply the adhesive using a 3 x 3 mm or 4 x 4 mm notched trowel, such as the Schluter TROWEL in the 4mm size. For concrete and other cementitious substrates, use an appropriate cement-based Tile Adhesive. For timber substrates, we recommend using Ardex AF200 Plus Uncoupling Matting Adhesive – this is a purpose made, high performance adhesive for fixing fleece-backed uncoupling membranes. Another suitable product is Mapei Ultrabond Eco VS90.
Schluter DITRA Matting uncouples the floor covering from the substrate and neutralises the tensions between the substrate and the tile covering that result from the varying deformations of the materials. Likewise, stress cracks in the substrate are bridged and are, therefore, not transferred to the surface covering.
Installing Schluter DITRA Matting:
- The substrate must be free of bond inhibiting components, be load bearing and even. Any unevenness in the substrate must be levelled prior to the application of Schluter DITRA Matting.
- The type of bonding adhesive used to apply Schluter DITRA Matting depends on the type of substrate. The adhesive must bond to the substrate and mechanically anchor the fleece on the underside of the matting. Verify the compatibility of all materials prior to installation.
- Apply the bonding adhesive to the substrate using a 3 x 3 mm or 4 x 4 mm notched trowel.
- Individual courses of Schluter DITRA Matting are cut to size. Solidly embed the anchoring fleece on the underside of the matting in the adhesive so that its entire surface is bonded and immediately work it into the adhesive using a float or screed trowel. Among other tools, an orbital sander is well-suited for this purpose. Please observe the open time of the bonding adhesive. When initially positioning Schluter DITRA Matting, it is advisable to align and position the matting while slightly stretching it. This is best done with an additional helper. Tightly abut the individual membranes. Note: If the matting is only installed as an uncoupling membrane, side edges and ends of individual courses do not need to be sealed with Schluter KERDI KEBA Sealing Tape.
Please refer to the instructions for waterproofing if the membrane is to serve as a waterproofing layer.
- Once installed, Schluter DITRA Matting must be protected against heavy mechanical loads to avoid loosening it from the substrate or other damage. It is advisable to place running boards (especially in the centre of material transports) to protect the membrane. Other protective measures, such as shielding of direct sunlight or protection from precipitation in exterior applications, may also be required. Carefully remove any moisture that may have gathered in the indentations of the studs before applying the thin-bed tile adhesive.
- Immediately after the Schluter DITRA Matting is installed, the tiles can be set using the thin-bed method and using a bonding tile adhesive that matches the requirements of the covering. It is recommended to fill the square cavities with the smooth side of the trowel and to establish a regular pattern in the bonding adhesive with the notched side of the trowel in one application. The tiles are fully embedded in the adhesive. Fully embedded installation of tiles in accordance with the applicable professional standards is particularly important for coverings with high traffic loads and in outdoor areas. The notches of the trowel must match the format and thickness of the tiles, so as to achieve solid bedding. Please observe the open time of the adhesive. The adhesive bed over Schluter DITRA Matting should not exceed 10 mm.
- For movement joints as control joints, expansion joints, or connection joints please follow the instructions given in this product data sheet as well as the applicable industry regulations.
Waterproofing with Schluter DITRA Matting:
Schluter DITRA Matting protects the substrate against damage due to moisture penetration and aggressive substances. To achieve a fully certified bonded waterproofing assembly with the tile covering, use the waterproofing membrane sealing band Schluter KERDI KEBA (minimum width: 125mm) on the abutting joints, solidly embedding it in Schluter KERDI COLL L Sealing Adhesive. The sealing band should overlap at least 5 cm.
The interconnected air channels between the cavities on the underside of the matting remain open. This allows moisture in the substrate to evaporate, therefore neutralising vapour pressure.
The bottom of the square cavities, which are filled with thin-bed adhesive, directly transfer the load impact on the tile covering to the substrate. As a consequence, tile coverings installed on top are highly load resistant.
Due to the bonding of the anchoring fleece into the thin-bed adhesive on the underside and the mechanical anchoring of the adhesive in the cut back cavities, the matting achieves a good adhesion of the tile covering to the substrate. (laboratory test values: ~ 0.2N/mm²).