Mapei Primer G is a synthetic-resin-based water-dispersion primer with very low volatile organic compound (VOC). Available in 1 litre and 5 litre containers.
Mapei Primer G is a water dispersion of special synthetic resins which, once applied to any surface, dry to form a flexible, compact, shiny coating which consolidates the surface, where needed. Mapei Primer G also improves the adhesion of smoothing compounds, paint, adhesive for wall paper, adhesive for tiles and mortar for renders.
The film of Mapei Primer G on the surface of gypsum or cement, prevents any chemical reaction between sulphates and the cement alluminates of the tile adhesives which, in the presence of moisture, leads to the formation of the salt “ettringite’’ which is the cause of tiles breaking away from gypsum substrates.
Mapei Primer G makes wallpaper stripping far easier and decreases the amount of glue used for paperhanging. When used before applying sprayable plasters, Mapei Primer G prevents over-rapid absorption of water by the substrate, prolongs finishing time and helps prevent shrinkage cracks.
When used before the application of self-levelling compounds, Mapei Primer G reduces the formation of air bubbles and helps prevent over-rapid drying making self-levelling easier. Primer G is not inflammable and can therefore also be used in closed, unventilated environments without any precautions having to be taken.
Where to use:
• For treating gypsum surfaces prior to fixing ceramic tiles.
• As an anchoring coat for gypsum-based sprayable plasters.
• To improve the bonding of smoothing compounds on cement, gypsum, asphalt, ceramic and marble surfaces cement based and calcium sulphate-based screeds and asphalt.
• To provide uniform absorption in cementitious or gypsum surfaces.
Some application examples:
• Preparing cement-based surfaces prior to smoothing with self-levelling or thixotropic smoothing compounds.
• Between layers of smoothing compounds once the first coat is perfectly dry.
• On gypsum plasters prior to smoothing with cementitious products.
• On anhydrite surfaces prior to applying cement based products.
• On cementitious renders prior to smoothing with gypsum based products.
• On gypsum walls as a fixative for wallpaper adhesives.
• Before installing ceramic tiles with cementitious adhesives on:
– gypsum plasters and sprayed gypsum;
– prefabricated gypsum panels;
– fibrous-gypsum panels;
– anhydrite screeds.
• Treating gypsum walls, chipboard, cement fibre boards, foamed concrete, renders etc. prior to papering or painting.
The consumption of Mapei Primer G depends on the porosity and absorption of the surface. Normal consumption is between 0.1 and 0.2 kg/m2.
Consistency: low viscosity liquid
Colour: light blue
Density (g/cm³): 1.01
Dry solids content (%): 18
EMICODE: EC1 – very low emission
Maximum VOC according to 2004/42/EC: 0 g/l
Application temperature range: from +5°C to +35°C
Minimum drying time: 1-2 hours