Mapei Kerapoxy Design Epoxy Tile Grout is a two-component, decorative, acid resistant epoxy grout ideal for glass mosaics. May also be used as an adhesive.
Mapei Kerapoxy Design Epoxy Tile Grout is for decorative grouting of internal and external tiled floors and walls, in particular for glass mosaic. Also suitable for an acid resistant bond to all substrates normally used in the building industry. Mapei Kerapoxy Design allows you to create floors, walls, worktops etc. in compliance with the HACCP system and the requirements of EC Regulation No. 852/2004 regarding hygiene and foodstuffs.
Some application examples:
- Installing and grouting decorative finishes in environments with an high aesthetic value (e.g. showrooms, commercial environments, etc.).
- Suitable for application on substrates where a semi-transparent finish is required, it also allows the light to filter through (e.g. glass substrates).
- Installing and grouting floors and walls in showers and bathrooms. Suitable on fibreglass and PVC substrates.
- Installing and grouting floors and walls in thermal facilities, saunas, Turkish baths, etc.).
- Installing and grouting in swimming pools, especially recommended for pools containing spa or sea water.
- Repairing existing degraded grout by removing all loose areas and to a minimum uniform depth of 3 mm.
Use the grout calculator below to estimate how much grout you will need for your application.
Mapei Kerapoxy Design Epoxy Tile Grout is available in 31 colours and translucent: 103 Moon White, 110 Manhattan 2000, 111 Silver Grey, 113 Cement Grey, 114 Anthracite, 115 River Grey, 116 Musk Grey, 119 London Grey, 130 Jasmine, 132 Beige 2000, 133 Sand, 134 Silk, 135 Golden Dust, 136 Mud, 137 Caribbean, 138 Almond, 139 Pink Powder, 142 Brown, 146 Rick Brown, 149 Volcano Sand, 150 Yellow, 152 Liquorice, 165 Cherry Red, 173 Ocean Blue, 174 Tornado, 283 Sea Blue, 700 Translucent, 710 Ice White, 720 Pearl Grey, 728 Dark Grey, 729 Sahara Yellow, 799 White.
Mapei Kerapoxy Design is a two-component, decorative, epoxy resin-based grout, with silica sand and other special components, with excellent chemical resistance and easy cleaning properties. This is a product with very low emission of volatile organic compounds and is classified Emicode EC1 R Plus by GEV when used for grouting.
Mapei Kerapoxy Design may be mixed with up to 10% by weight of Mapei MapeGlitter, metalized coloured glitter, to create particular special effects. Percentage depends on the aestethical effect and workability desired. Mapei MapeGlitter is available in silver and light gold and another 22 colours on request. When applied correctly, Mapei Kerapoxy Design Epoxy Grout forms tile joints with the following characteristics:
- Translucent effect, improves the chromatic effect of finishes with particularly decorative characteristics;
- Semi-transparent finish, very similar to glass mosaic, guarantees better luminosity, lustre and appearance of the mosaic;
- Excellent mechanical strength and chemical resistance, therefore excellent durability;
- Leaves a final smooth and compact surface, which is non-absorbent and easy to clean; guarantees a high level of hygiene and blocks the formation of mildew and mould;
- Excellent workability, highly improved compared with traditional epoxy mortars thanks to its creamy consistency, which guarantees a faster application, less waste and makes it easier to clean the surface of the mosaic, and to obtain a good finish;
- No shrinkage and, therefore, no cracking;
- Uniform colours resistant to ultra-violet light and atmospheric agents;
- Excellent bonding properties.
- Use Kerapoxy IEG to grout ceramic floors subject to attack by oleic acids (ham curers, sausage factories, oil mills, etc.) and aromatic hydrocarbons.
- Use a flexible sealant from the Mapei range (such as Mapei Mapesil AC Silicone, Mapesil LM, Mapeflex PU40, Mapeflex PU45 FT or Mapeflex PU50 SL) for flexible expansion joints or for joints subject to movement.
- Mapei Kerapoxy Design does not guarantee a perfect bond when used as a grout if the edges of tiles are wet or contaminated with cement, dust, oil, grease, etc.
- Mapei Kerapoxy Design leaves a semitransparent, translucent finish and the final colour may vary dependent on the type and colour of mosaics on which it is applied and the colour of the adhesive used for bonding. This variation must be taken into consideration if the grout is used for different types of tile in the same room.
- If porcelain tiles are grouted with a contrasting colour of Mapei Kerapoxy Design (for example black on white), carry out preliminary tests beforehand.
- Always carry out preliminary tests before grouting stone or ground porcelain with a porous or rough surface.
- Do not add water or solvents to Mapei Kerapoxy Design to increase its workability.
- Do not use Mapei Kerapoxy Design to grout joints which are wider than 7 mm.
- Use the product at temperatures between +12°C and +30°C.
- The packages are pre-dosed and, therefore, it is not possible to make mixing errors. Do not estimate the quantities when mixing: hardening will be compromised if the catalysing ratio is wrong.
- If hardened Mapei Kerapoxy Design has to be removed from the joints, use an industrial hot air blower. If hardened localized residues of the product remain attached to the tiles, use Mapei Pulicol 2000 for cleaning.
- Mapei Kerapoxy Design mixed with Mapei MapeGlitter is not suitable for swimming pools or external use.
- Preparation of the joints:
The joints must be clean, free from dust and empty down to at least 2/3 of the thickness of the tiles. Any adhesive or mortar which has seeped into the joints while laying the tiles must be removed while still fresh.
Before grouting, make sure the installation mortar or adhesive has set and that most of the moisture has evaporated. Mapei Kerapoxy Design is not harmed by damp from the substrate, but the joints must not be wet when grouting.
- Preparation of the mix:
Pour the hardener (component B) into the container of component A and mix well until a smooth paste is obtained. We recommend using a low-speed electric mixer to guarantee perfect blending, and to avoid overheating of the mix which would reduce working times. Where required, add MapeGlitter once the blend has been mixed, at a ratio of up to 10% by weight. Use the mix within 45 minutes of preparation.
Spread Mapei Kerapoxy Design with a special Mapei grout float (or Kerakoll Rubber Grout Float), making sure that the joints are filled right down to the bottom. Remove excess material by passing the edge of the same trowel diagonally over the tile joints.
Tiled finishes must be cleaned after grouting while Mapei Kerapoxy Design is still “fresh”. Wet the grouted surface and emulsify with an abrasive pad for cleaning joints (such as Scotch-Brite® or Kerakoll Cleaning Pad). Take care not to drag grout from the joint. Tiles/mosaics may also be cleaned with the same pad, but it must be more saturated with water. Any liquid which remains on the surface may be removed with a hard, cellulose sponge (such as a Mapei sponge or Kerakoll Cellulose Sponge). Replace the sponge when it is coated with too much resin, and also when finishing off the grouted joints.
After the finishing operation, it is very important that no traces of Mapei Kerapoxy Design remain on the surface of the tiles. Once hardened, it is very difficult to remove. Therefore, rinse the sponge often with clean water during cleaning. With very large floor surfaces, finishing may be carried out by wetting the surface and using a single-head rotary machine with special abrasive felt disks such as Scotch-Brite®. Residual liquid may be drawn off using a rubber rake.
- Mapei Kerapoxy Cleaner (special cleaning solution for epoxy grout) may also be used for the final cleaning cycle and may also be used to remove thin residues of grout up to several hours after application. In this case, the product must be left to react for longer (at least 15-20 minutes). The efficiency of Mapei Kerapoxy Cleaner depends on the amount of residual resin and the amount of time gone by after application. Cleaning must be carried out while still “fresh” as described above.
Ready for use:
At +20°C, floors are ready to accept light foot traffic after 24 hours. Floors are fully ready for use after 4 days. Surfaces can also undergo chemical attack after 4 days.
Consistency: Component A: creamy paste – Component B: gel
Colour: available in 31 different colours and translucent
Density (g/cm³): 1.64 1.06
Dry solids content (%): 100 100
Brookfield viscosity (mPa·s) 700,000 400,000
EMICODE (as a grout): EC1 R Plus – very low emission
Mix ratio: component A : component B = 9 : 1
Consistency of mix: creamy paste
Density of mix (kg/m³): 1,550
Pot life of mix: 45 minutes
Application temperature range: from +12°C to +30°C
Open time (as an adhesive): 30 minutes
Adjustability time (as an adhesive): 60 minutes
Set to light foot traffic: 24 hours
Ready for use: 4 days