Mapei Keracolor SF Tile Grout is a super-fine, cementitious mortar for grouting tile joints up to 4 mm in width.
Mapei Keracolor SF Tile Grout is used for internal and external grouting of floors and finishes in all types of ceramic (single-fired, double-fired, klinker, porcelain, etc.), stone material (natural stone, marble, granite, agglomerates, etc.), and glass and marble mosaic.
Some application examples:
- Grouting narrow tile joints in all types of tiles on floors and on walls in buildings for domestic use.
- Grouting tile joints in glass mosaic and pre-finished marble.
- Grouting joints in finishes with a particularly smooth, shiny surface (polished porcelain, polished marble, etc.).
- Grouting metallic mosaics.
- Bathrooms, showers, swimming pools.
Mapei Keracolor SF is made up of a blend of cement, fine-grained inert materials, synthetic resins, special admixtures and pigments. Mapei Keracolor SF is characterised by its special rheological behaviour, which makes it particularly suitable for grouting narrow tile joints. When mixed with water in the proportions recommended and correctly applied, it forms a grouting mortar with the following characteristics:
- good compressive and flexural strength and good resistance to freeze/thaw cycles, and therefore optimum durability;
- smooth, compact finished surface with a very fine grain structure, with low water absorbency and therefore easy cleaning;
- very good resistance to abrasion;
- low shrinkage rate, therefore free of cracks and crevices.
By mixing Mapei Keracolor SF with Mapei Fugolastic, a special synthetic resin-based polymeric admixture, its final characteristics are further improved and it reaches a level of strength which makes it suitable for even the most severe service conditions (grouting façades, high demand leisure pools, power showers and even floors subject to intense traffic). Mapei Keracolor SF together with Fugolastic admix may also be used for grouting joints in marble to be polished after laying.
- Do not mix Mapei Keracolor SF Tile Grout with cement or other products, and never add water once it has started to set.
- Never mix Mapei Keracolor SF with salt-water or dirty water.
- Use the product at a temperature of between +5°C and +35°C.
- The water used for mixing the product must be very carefully dosed. Too much mixing water and residual humidity in the adhesive or mortar which have not completely hydrated, or in substrates which have not dried sufficiently or which are not adequately protected against rising damp, may cause unsightliness due to the formation of salts on the surface.
- Expansion and movement joints on walls and floors must never be filled with Mapei Keracolor SF.
- In the case of tiles or slabs of stone material which have micro-porosity or a rough surface, carry out a preliminary test on a small piece to check whether it may be easily cleaned. If necessary, treat the surface with a protective treatment to the surface, ensuring that it does not run into the tile joints.
- Do not use Mapei Keracolor SF to grout tile joints wider than 4 mm (use Mapei Keracolor FF or Keracolor GG).
- With particularly absorbent tiles and thin tile joints, we recommend that the finish is dampened before grouting.
- Preparing of the joints:
Before grouting the joints, wait until the installation mortar or the adhesive is completely set. Make sure that the waiting times indicated in the Technical Data Sheets are strictly adhered to. The joints must be clean, free from dust and empty down to at least 2/3 of the thickness of the tiles. Any adhesive or mortar which has seeped into the joints while laying the tiles must be removed whilst still fresh.
With particularly narrow tiles, or in the case of high temperatures or in windy conditions, dampen the joints with clean water.
- Preparing the mix:
Pour the Mapei Keracolor SF Tile Grout powder into a clean, rust-free container of clean water or Mapei Fugolastic (if required for the application) while mixing, at a ratio of 33-34% by weight.
Stir the mix, preferably with a low-speed mixer to avoid drawing in air, until a smooth paste is obtained. Let the mix stand for 2-3 minutes, and stir again briefly before use. Use the mix within 2 hours of its preparation.
Fill the joints with the prepared Mapei Keracolor SF mix using a special MAPEI trowel or rubber squeegee, without leaving any gaps or steps. Remove any excess Mapei Keracolor SF from the surface, by moving the trowel or squeegee diagonally across the joints while the mix is still fresh.
- Finishing layer:
When the mix becomes firmer opaque, which usually takes place after 10-20 minutes, clean the residual Mapei Keracolor SF with a damp sponge, working in a diagonal direction with respect to the joints.
Rinse the sponge frequently, using two different containers of water: one to remove the excess mix from the sponge, and the other, containing clean water, to rinse the sponge.
This operation may also be carried out with a special machine with a sponge belt. To make removal of the hardened product from the tiles easier, a dampened Scotch-Brite pad or Kerakoll Cleaning Pad, or a rotating, single-head polisher with a felt disk may be used before cleaning with the sponge.
If the cleaning operation is carried out too soon (the mix is still too runny), some of the mix may be removed from the joints which makes them more subject to changes in colour. On the other hand, if the grout has already set, it will have to be cleaned mechanically which may cause scratching on the surface of the tiles.
If grouting is carried out in extremely hot, dry or windy weather, we recommend damping the joints filled with Mapei Keracolor SF after a few hours.
Damp curing of Mapei Keracolor SF Tile Grout improves its final characteristics in all cases. Final cleaning of the powdery film of Mapei Keracolor SF from the surface may be carried out with a clean, dry cloth. After the final cleaning operation, if the surface still has traces of Mapei Keracolor SF, it may be cleaned down with an acidic cleaner (e.g. Keranet), by following the relevant instructions, at least 10 days after grouting the joints. Only use Keranet on surfaces which are resistant to acid, and never use it on marble or limestone material.
Set to light foot traffic:
Floors can be subjected to light foot traffic after approx. 24 hours.
Ready for use:
The surfaces are ready for traffic after 7 days. Water features and swimming pools may be filled up 7 days after grouting.
The consumption of Mapei Keracolor SF Tile Grout depends on the joint dimensions, i.e. width and depth, as well as the surface area of the tile. Use the grout calculator below to calculate how much grout you are likely to need for your application.
Mapei Keracolor SF Tile Grout is available in 7 colours: 100 White, 112 Medium Grey, 113 Cement Grey, 114 Anthracite, 120 Black, 130 Jasmine, and 132 Beige 2000.
Consistency: fine powder
Colours: 100, 112, 113, 114, 120, 130, 132
Bulk density (kg/m³): 880
Dry solids content (%): 100
EMICODE: EC1 R Plus – very low emission
APPLICATION DATA (+23°C and 50% R.H.)
Mixing ratio (%): 33-34
Consistency of the mix: fluid paste
Density of mix (kg/m³): 1,960
pH of mix: approx. 13
Pot life of mix: approx. 2 hours
Application temperature range: from +5°C to +35°C
Waiting time for grouting after laying:
– on walls bonded with normal adhesive: 4-8 hours
– on walls bonded with quick-setting adhesive: 1-2 hours
– floors laid with mortar: 2-3 days
– on floors bonded with normal adhesive: 24 hours
– on floors bonded with quick-setting adhesive: 3-4 hours
– on floors laid with mortar: 7-10 days
Waiting time before finishing operation: 10-20 minutes
Step-on time: 24 hours
Waiting time before putting into service: 7 days